Steps to Follow for a Healthy Mouth during Your Pregnancy
During the prenatal stages of pregnancy, there are some important steps to follow to get a healthy mouth. These steps include:
- Have dental checkup- Get teeth cleaned and checked. Be sure to get any needed dental work done.
- Brush twice a day- brush at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. Use a soft brush. Be sure to put the bristles of the toothbrush where the teeth and gums meet. This is where gum disease starts.
- Floss daily- Floss to clean between the teeth where a toothbrush can’t reach.
- Limit the number of times you eat sweet or starchy snacks each day- These types of snacks can cause “acid attacks” on your teeth. Drink fewer sugary drinks and eat fewer sweets. Soda and sweets may cause cavities. Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Seek prenatal care- Follow the advice of your health care professional. This is important for your health and health of your baby.
- Get adequate calcium- You need calcium for your baby’s teeth and bones. Calcium can be found in milk, cheese, dried beans and leafy greens.
For more information regarding prenatal dental care, or to set up an appointment, be sure to give Power Ranch Dental a call at (480) 988- 2282. We would love to answer any and all questions you may have!