What is the right way to floss?
Proper flossing removes plaque and food particles in places where a toothbrush cannot easily reach, under the gums and between the teeth. Plaque build-up can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. To maximize benefits from flossing, use the proper technique:
- Starting with about 18 inches of floss, wind most of floss around each middle finger, leaving an inch of two to work with.
- Hold floss taunt between thumbs and slide it gently up-and-down between your teeth.
- Gently curve the floss around the base of each tooth, make sure to go beneath the gum line.
- Use clean sections of floss when going from tooth to tooth.
- To remove, use same back-and-forth motion to bring the floss up and away from the teeth.
For more information about proper flossing techniques, give Power Ranch Dental a call at (480) 988- 2282.